Antifreeze Toxicity

 

ANTIFREEZE TOXICITY

 

If you suspect that your animal has come into contact with antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately – don’t wait.

FROSTVÆSKE FORGIFTNING

Antifreeze is a syrupy liquid with colors like blue or red. It may be found leaking under cars in the heat of summer or after engine maintenance. Spills of this liquid are also common in winter months as car owners perform seasonal engine maintenance. You can find it wherever car is parked. Do not let your dog lick snow or unknown liquids. Antifreeze is odorless and has a sweet taste, which can be attractive to curious and thirsty animals, and it is lethal.

Because of this, dogs will consume great quantities of ethylene glycol before being repulsed by its aftertaste.

 

It is the toxin ethylene glycol that makes antifreeze lethal. By then, it is too late. It does not take a significant amount of ethylene glycol to cause fatal damage to the system. Antifreeze poisoning affects the brain, liver, and kidneys.

Ethylene glycol is also found in engine coolant and hydraulic brake fluids.

 

Some common signs of antifreeze poisoning in dogs and cats include:

Drunken behavior

Euphoria/Delirium

Wobbly, uncoordinated movement

Nausea/Vomiting

Excessive urination

Diarrhea

Rapid heart beat

Depression

Weakness

Seizures/Convulsions/Shaking tremors

Fainting

Coma

 

This is a liquid that’s extremely deadly for our dogs, the Lethal dose for dogs : 4.2 – 6.6 ml/kg for cats : 0.9 – 1.5 ml/kg. Should your dog have ingested antifreeze drive to the veterinarian immediately.

Your veterinarian will take a complete blood profile, including a chemical blood profile and a urinalysis. Your veterinarian will want to test the vomit or stool, if possible, as it may assist the veterinarian in diagnosing the type of poisoning and expedite your dog's treatment. Be as detailed as you can with your dogs medical history as that will help your veterinarian.

 

If you are 100 % sure that your dog has ingested antifreeze you might as an immediately first aid, try to induce vomiting by giving your dog a simple hydrogen peroxide solution -- one teaspoon per two kilo of body weight, with no more than three teaspoons given at once. Only done if the toxin has been ingested in the previous two hours, and should only be given three times, spaced apart at 10-minute intervals. If your pet has not vomited after the third dose, stop giving it the hydrogen peroxide solution and seek immediate veterinary attention.

 

Always call your veterinarian before you try to get your dog to vomit since it can be dangerous with some toxins; some poisons will do more harm coming back through the esophagus than they did going down. Should your dog already had vomited, do not try to force more vomiting.

 

Do NOT induce vomiting if your dog is unconscious, having trouble breathing, or is exhibiting signs of serious distress or shock. Whether your dog vomits or not, after the initial care, you must rush it to a veterinary facility immediately. Your veterinarian will be able to safely administer antidotes to the poison, such as activated charcoal to prevent further absorption of the toxin, and 4-methylpyrazole, which can treat antifreeze poisoning very effectively if given shortly after the consumption of antifreeze. Your dog may need to be held in intensive care to prevent kidney failure.

 

Dogs that have consumed antifreeze in very small quantity may survive, but will develop kidney failure within days of ingestion. Unfortunately, death due to kidney damage is common among animals that have been poisoned by antifreeze.

 

The kidneys are most severely affected, and even if the animal seems to improve initially with treatment, they may succumb shortly after to kidney failure (3-5 days post ingestion). The kidneys shut down, and the animal is unable to produce urine.

 

This type of kidney failure usually happens 12-24 hours after ingestion in cats, and 36-72 hours post ingestion in dogs. Success of treatment is dependent upon quick treatment. If antifreeze ingestion is known or even suspected, do not delay. This is not a "wait-and-see" situation; kidney damage will be more severe as time (hours) go by.

 

If you suspect that your animal has come into contact with antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately.

 

 

Hvis du mistenker at ditt dyr har kommet i kontakt med frostvæske, kontakt din veterinær umiddelbart - ikke vent.

 

 

 

Frostvæske er en seig væske som er blå eller rød av farge. Man kan finne dette under biler som har lekket dette eller etter motorvedlikehold. Ikke la hunden sin spise snø eller slike i seg ukjente væsker. Frostvæske er luktfri men har en søtlig smak, som kan være attraktiv for nysgjerrige og tørste dyr, og det er dødelig.

 

Pga av den søtlige smaken kan hunder få i seg mye av dette stoffet før de får de merker den frastøtende ettersmaken.

Det er giften ethylene glycol som gjør at frostvæske er dødelig. Det skal ikke mye til av etylenglykol før det gir en uopprettelig skade på organer. Forgiftning men frostvæske påvirker bade hjernen, leveren og nyrene.

Vi finner også etylenglykol i motorens kjølevann og bremsevæske.

 

Noen vanlige tegn på frostvæske forgiftning inkluderer:

Eufori/Delirium

Vaklende, ukoordinerte bevegelser

Kvalme / oppkast

Overdreven vannlating

Diaré

Rask hjerterytme

Depresjon

Svakhet

Anfall/kramper/rystelser

Besvimelse

Koma

 

 

Dette er en væske som er ekstremt dødelig for hundene våre. Dødelig dose for hunder: 4.2 - 6.6 ml/kg Dødelig dose for katter: 0,9 - 1,5 ml/kg. Har hunden din fått i seg frostvæske drar du til veterinær umiddelbart.

Veterinæren tar en fullstendig blodprofil, inkludert en kjemisk blodprofil og en urinanalyse. Hvis mulig sjekkes også oppkast og avføring, alt for å få i gang behandling raskt. Noter deg ting på ve i til veterinæren.

 

 

Du kan være uheldig å ha veldig lang vei til veterinæren og du ser at noe må gjøres. Hvis du er 100% sikker på at din hunden har fått i seg frostvæske kan du som umiddelbar førstehjelp prøve å fremkall brekninger ved å gi hunden en enkel hydrogenperoksid løsning - en teskje per to kilo kroppsvekt, ikke mer enn tre teskjeer samtidig. Dette er kun mulig hvis hunden har fått i seg frostvæske i løpet av de to siste timene. Gis kun tre ganger totalt med 10 minutters mellomrom. Skulle den ikke ha kastet opp etter tredje dose skal du ikke gi mer. Uansett så reiser du til veterinær.

 

Som en regel skal du alltid kontakte din veterinær før du prøver å få hunden til å kaste opp, dette da noen giftstoffer gjør mer skade ved å komme opp igjen via spiserøyret. Har hunden din kastet opp så ikke fremprovoser mer oppkast.

 

IKKE FREMKALL brekninger hvis hunden din er bevisstløs, har problemer med å puste, eller viser tegn til alvorlig nød eller er i sjokk. Uansett om hunden din har kastet opp eller ikke så må du ta den med til veterinær. Hunden vil få motgift som aktivt kull for å forhindre ytterligere absorbsjon av gift og 4-methylpyrazole som er effektiv ved frostvæskeforgiftningen. Hunden din blir så lagt til overvåking for å forhindre nyresvikt.

 

Hunder som har fått i seg frostvæske i svært små mengder kan overleve, men vil utvikle nyresvikt innen få dager etter inntak. Dessverre er død på grunn av nyreskader vanlig blant dyr som har blitt forgiftet av frostvæske.

 

Nyrene er det organet som er mest alvorlig berørt, og selv om det virker som hunden er bedre med behandlingen som er gitt, så kan nyrene svikte (3-5 dager etter inntak). Nyrene slutter å fungere og derved blir det ikke produsert urin.

 

Denne typen nyresvikt skjer vanligvis 12-24 timer etter inntak hos katter, og 36-72 timer etter inntak hos hunder.

En vellykket behandling er avhengig av rask behandling. Hvis du mistenker inntak av frostvæske så er dette ikke en tilstand der du kan «vente-og-se». Eventuelle nyreskader blir alvorligere jo lenger tid det tar før behandling.

 

 

Hvis du mistenker at din hund eller katt har kommet i kontakt med frostvæske, kontakt din veterinær umiddelbart.

NORSK TEXT ETTER DEN ENGELSKE